Instructing us

In the UK, the legal profession is divided into barristers and solicitors. Barristers are generally known for appearing in court and providing expert advice in relation to specialist areas of law.

Barristers are a specialist “referral” profession, meaning that they are usually engaged through a solicitor or accountant (like a consultant or surgeon is engaged through a GP). It is usually the case that members of the public must instruct a barrister through a solicitor or accountant but some specially qualified barristers can take instructions direct from members of the public. This is known as “Public Access” .

We take instructions on all matters from solicitors, accountants, licensed insolvency practitioners and certain other licensed professionals. However we are also authorised by the Bar Standards Board for Public Access. This is at the discretion of CCTC and we will evaluate whether your case is suitable for us to take on without a solicitor or accountant.

If you wish to engage CCTC (referred to as “instructing” us) our Practice Manager Sophia Fox will assist you with all stages of the process.

If you are a solicitor or other licensed professional please go to our Contact page.

If you are a member of the public please get in touch using the contact form below to see if your case is appropriate for Public Access.

Get in touch

We have instructed Joseph Howard on a number of occasions in relation to complex high value matters. His advice is always clear and comprehensive and he cuts quickly to the essence of any matter. Not only does he identify issues but is always on hand with practical workable solutions.
James Ward
Partner and Head of Private Client, Kingsley Napley